A smart approach to commercial assets
About the event
Venue: WCHG, 460, Palatine Rd, Northenden, Manchester, M22 4DJ
Time: 11.30 - 14.00
Since the last general election the government’s radical housing policy agenda has thrown up a wide range of issues for the sector that require careful legal and wider strategic consideration. In this time of flux and uncertainty, the series of five seminars will focus on key legal topics currently affecting housing providers, providing them with a range of insight and ‘real world’ legal, strategic and operational advice that will help RPs tackle the key challenges they face, and also take advantage of the many opportunities the changing face of the sector presents. The interactive lunchtime seminars will cover a broad range of areas including housing management, development, governance, regulation and commercial property.
From owned or leased head offices to shop units and other commercial premises, many RPs have a number of non-residential assets, but managing a commercial portfolio is very different from managing a residential one. By taking a smarter approach, RPs can realise huge savings or increases in revenue – cash that can be diverted to developing and improving core frontline services. As well as making sure you’re not paying out when you don’t need to, getting a firm handle on managing commercial stock will also support RP’s assets and liabilities registers and give further comfort to the HCA. Areas of focus for this session will include:
• How to make managing your portfolio easier
• Commercial property portfolio health check – getting it fit for purpose
• Office and commercial leases – making better use of what you’ve got. Re-gears, negotiations etc
• Acquisitions and disposals
• Commercial units on mixed-use developments – key considerations to make before a spade hits the ground
• Beyond the nuts and bolts: where commercial property fits in your wider asset management strategy
• Portfolio rationalisation
Benefits of attending
Give RPs strategic and legal insight into how a smart approach to commercial premises can realise huge savings or increases in revenue – untapped cash that can be diverted to frontline services.
Come and hear from:
- Bob Agnew, Partner and head of commercial real estate, Croftons Solicitors
- Jonathan Drake, Service director – business development, Salix Homes - "We have done a lot of work recently for Salix Homes, helping them to identify opportunities for savings/enhanced terms on contracts/leases through a more strategic approach to managing their commercial stock". Jonathan will give an overview of the work Salix have done and the benefits it has realised, and give a general “RP perspective” on commercial property.
- Gareth Kreike, Director, Longden & Cooke Real Estate - Longden & Cooke are professional property managers/valuers/chartered surveyors, also involved in our work with Salix. Gareth will be offering advice on how RPs can ensure they get open market returns on their properties, what’s involved, things to consider, benefits to be gained etc.
Who should attend• Finance Directors/Managers
• Directors/Assistant Directors and other senior staff with responsibility for commercial assets / asset management / property services / development
• Heads of Service
• Development/Property Services Managers
• Development Officers
• In-house legal teams
THIS EVENT IS FREE TO ATTEND FOR MEMBERS AND £99+VAT FOR NON-MEMBERS
To Book Your Place
Members - click on the Book button and book your place using your CIH membership number and password.
Non-members - Are you a non-member of CIH or is this your first time using the website to book an event?
Click on book
You will then be asked to register your details in order for your booking to be processed. Please note once you have registered you wont have to do it again, instead you will only have to log in via your username and password to book online.
Alternatively contact firstname.lastname@example.org quoting booking code: RENW180117
Non CIH members, please note if you cancel within 3 days of the event or do not attend you will be charged the full fee.