CIH South West board - member survey
Recently the South West board organised a survey of its SW members to better understand what matters most to you and how we can best support your professional needs moving forward.
- You told us that keeping you informed of housing issues, helping you to do your job professionally, helping you build professional networks, enabling you to influence the future of housing and providing relevant regional events and training and personal development opportunities was either important or very important to you.
- You were keen to see future events focused on: achieving value for money, getting the rent in and managing the impact of universal credit, safeguarding adults and children, effective governance and preparing for IDAs, managing change in the work place, health and wellbeing and elderly and supported accommodation.
- You wanted to see events spread across the region and an increased focus on local authority issues.
- A number of responses commented on the Torquay conference needing to be refreshed and relaunched.
- You hoped to see better support to those professionals studying housing and those keen to develop their career.
So thank you for the feedback – the board met at the beginning of September and we are prioritising the following:
1. Our offer to members
We want to develop our offer to existing members and members studying as part of their professional development. These details are currently being finalised and we will update on this in our next regional roundup and via the South West page on the CIH website.
In addition we will contact those members currently studying to outline our plans and get your thoughts as to whether this ticks the right buttons. Your feedback will help finalise the offer to you.
As a quick reminder, please remember CIH offers a mentoring scheme enabling mentees access to a useful framework to help explore their career possibilities and to identify relevant development opportunities, guided by a qualified and experienced colleague from the housing sector. The mentoring scheme would benefit:
- people who are new to housing exploring their career possibilities
- people looking to develop their skills
- management looking for higher level career development opportunities
- people looking to update their skills
If you would like to find out more please contact CIH's membership services team
2. South West conference
As highlighted by Barbara in her article we have had a number of conversations with members, received feedback from attendees of recent conferences and spoken with exhibitors, and have made the decision to refresh the conference and move the venue from Torquay to Bristol. Our aim is to provide a conference that is:
- easily accessible - Bristol is well serviced by the M4 and M5 motorways and trains from across the South West
- hosted in a venue that is modern and well positioned
- supported by a refreshed conference programme
We are excited by these changes and hope members, non-members and exhibitors will see the benefits. More details on the conference can be found in the events section of this regional round up and on the South West website in due course.
3. Events programme
We are beginning to review our events programme and ensure the events are tailored to meet your needs and in locations across the South West. Once events are finalised we will publish the programme and let you have details of forthcoming events and joining instructions.