Mental health in housing practice
4 October 2017
DescriptionThis one day course will provide an introduction to mental ill-health, increasing knowledge and understanding and thereby offering you a greater level of confidence in supporting service users who are in mental distress.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Explain the importance of working with people as unique individuals
- State the main types of mental ill health
- List the common sections of the Mental Health (Care & Treatment) Scotland Act 2003 and the duration of each
- Describe how the Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000 interrelates with the Mental Health (Care & Treatment) Scotland Act 2003 and Mental Health (Scotland) Act 2015
- List three possible ways of gaining support from external agencies for a service user in mental distress
- Identify two techniques that you may use when supporting a distressed service user
Who should attendStaff who work with service users who have mental health issues.
Mary’s professional career began in Adult and Psychiatric nursing practice. Following 14 years working at Staff Nurse, Charge Nurse and Clinical Co-ordinator levels of both in-patient units and day centres, Mary left to work as a supported housing manager for a large housing association before becoming their Training and Development Advisor three years later.
Since 2007, Mary has worked as an independent learning consultant, establishing her credibility with clients and colleagues due to her business-focussed, engaging, and realistic approach. Ensuring all learning initiatives comply with current legislation and best practice Mary’s particular area of expertise is in developing the knowledge, skills and confidence of staff working within health and social care to support adults at risk who experience mental health issues, dementia, learning disabilities and challenging behaviours.
Mary’s qualifications include: Chartered MCIPD, NVQ Level 5 Training & Development Strategy, Accredited Safeguarding trainer, NVQ A1 Assessor: Management, Customer Care, Health & Social Care.
Dates & LocationsWednesday 4 October 2017 at the Holiday Inn Theatreland, Glasgow from 09:30 - 16:00
Standard price - Full day - £260 + VAT
Member price - Full day - £235 + VAT
Contributing org. price - Full day - £210 + VAT
You can view our online booking procedure here.
Please note that if your organisation requires a purchase order number on the invoice, you MUST input this at the point of booking.