10 July 2018
Exploring how to make leasehold and service charge management more effective.
What you'll learn
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- State the characteristics of long leases Explain the rights that leaseholders have with regards to service charges and major works
- Recognise how shared ownership differs from ‘traditional’ leasehold and the differences between tenancies and leasehold
- Understand the importance of what is written in the lease
- Apply measures who could help in preventing service charge arrears
- Appreciate good practice in managing the collection of service charges
- Manage the Section 20 process when major works are required and manage the repayment of associated charges
- Explain the powers of the courts to forfeit leases and how to forfeit leases
- Understand the role of the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal
- Changes to shared ownership clauses
- Changes to shared ownership leases
- Complaint handling
- Consent to the mortgage
- Contents of the lease
- Downward staircasing (Flexible tenure)
- Freehold and leasehold tenure
- Fundamental Clauses: Pre 6/4/10
- Further measures regarding accounts
- Implies terms
- Is there any need to consult at all?
- Leasehold valuation tribunal
- Leaseholder major works repayments options
- Long term agreements
- Major works consultation
- Partnered procurement
- Possession action by the landlord
- Possession action by the lender
- Process for calculating service charges
- Recognised tenants associations
- Service Charges: The rights of the leaseholds
- Shared ownership and shared equity
- Traditional procurement and major works
- Trust accounts
- Typical leasehold income recovery strategy
- Varying of leases
- What are reserve funds?
Who should attend
Frontline housing staff, housing managers and those responsible for developing leaseholder/shared ownership policies and advisers.
Duration: 1 full day
Dates & Locations
10 July 2018, Cardiff
CIH Members|Housing Partnership Organisations: £149 + vat
Non Members: £199 + vat
What previous participants have said
'Excellent trainer. Knowledgeable and enthusiastic'
'Good delivery and knowledge of the subject matter'
'Friendly and explianed all aspects clearly'
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions