Introduction to Housing
The objective of this one-day course is to provide you with a general awareness of key aspects of housing and current housing issues in Scotland. It will put social housing in context by looking at some past policies to show how current policies have been shaped.
The day will cover in broad terms how social housing is funded, regulated and the performance of social landlords monitored and how landlords manage rent. It will also look at the different types of housing tenure in Scotland and the ways social housing can be allocated.
• To provide a basic understanding of the context of housing in Scotland today and in recent history
• To have an awareness of different tenure types in Scotland including social and other rental tenures and private ownership
• To have a broad understanding of how social housing is allocated
• To have an awareness of the framework for monitoring performance of social landlords including rent management
• To have an awareness of current developments in Scottish housing
What you'll learn
By the end of this course will be able to:
• Identify the different housing tenures
• Explain differences in types of landlord and tenancies
• Understand landlord’s and tenant’s rights and responsibilities
• Describe in broad terms the role of local authorities and RSLs in relation to allocations and performance management of their housing functions
• Appreciate current developments in Scottish housing
Who should attend
Anyone who is new to the housing sector, anyone planning to move into a housing role and those who are in a housing role but wish to improve their general appreciation of the field in which they work.
Alan Smith has been teaching in housing since 1992. He is self employed and has worked closely with the CIH delivering the Level 2 and Level 3 certificates in Housing Practice to a number of groups throughout Scotland.
Dates & Locations
3 October 2019, The Place Hotel, Edinburgh
Member price £149 + VAT
Housing Partner £159 + VAT
Standard price £209 + VAT
Note: does not include lunch
Members: Click on login to book and enter your username and password.
Non-members: Click on book and register your details.
If you experience any difficulties please call us on 02476 851 789 or email us at email@example.com
Payment: You can request that we invoice your employer or make payment via credit/debit card. Please note all invoices must be fully paid before the event takes place.
The delegate price includes a comprehensive delegate pack and handouts.